How you use your money is a huge deal! Jesus said money is a big deal because where your treasure is, there your heart is as well. Take a moment and consider what Jesus meant. Jesus said that wherever you put your wealth, your money, your treasure, that is where your heart will be also. Use your money to glorify God.
Christ-followers need to give consistently and proportionally of their income to God for two broad reasons.
Reason #1. God has instructed us to give. Take a look at a few of the Biblical texts to see God’s will for those of us who follow Him.
“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” -Jesus (Matthew 6:21)
“One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? And if you have not been faithful in that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own? No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. -Jesus (Luke 16:10-13)
“Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, ‘How have we robbed you?’ In your tithes and contributions. You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you. Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of your soil, and your vine in the field shall not fail to bear, says the Lord of hosts. Then all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land of delight, says the Lord of hosts.” -Malachi (3:8-12)
“As for the rich in this present age, they are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.” - Apostle Paul (1 Timothy 6:17-19)
“The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.” - Apostle Paul (2 Corinthians 9:6)
“Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver…” - Apostle Paul (2 Corinthians 9:7)
Reason #2 Tithing is what fuels Essential’s ministry.
Tithing is the system God has put into place to fuel ministry within the local church. The level of ministry Essential is able to do is tied to the faithfulness of those who attend Essential. Essential will do as much ministry as it can based upon the gifts given to Essential. If you are faithful with managing the resources God has blessed you with, Essential will be able to do more ministry.
Because of your giving to Essential we were able to do the following in 2016:
- We launched our weekly services, thereby creating a safe place for people to come and explore Jesus in Huntsville
- 13 people baptized
- The Gospel was presented boldly and clearly each Sunday since we started weekly services in February '16
- We volunteered and served at many community events in downtown Huntsville
- Over 125 people plugged into a Community Group
- 115+ people served each month at Essential
- Through the Good Neighbor Project, $9000 was given to our strategic partners. This does not include multiple special offerings throughout the year towards our homeless ministry and a special gift to say thanks to the school that allowed us to meet there
- We have five staff (3 full time) who are able to devote their attention to ministering to the the people of Huntsville
- We were able to provide exceptional programs for children
- We saw many people who had previously been unconnected to a church come and plug into a Gospel-centered church
The ministry of Essential Church is funded by God’s provision through the tithes and offerings of faithful partners and attendees. At Essential Church, we honor God’s provision by exercising wise and faithful stewardship, ethical business practices, and full accountability so that the financial integrity of Essential Church remains above reproach.